My Wii News Triforce: What we want to see in the next Zelda game

I think that it’s safe to say, for the majority of Nintendo fanboys (like myself), The Legend of Zelda is their favorite Nintendo franchise. We love this series so much because it hasn’t been “just another game,” but rather a ground-breaking franchise that has shaped the world of gaming itself. Designed and developed by Shigeru Miyamoto and the team at Nintendo, the Zelda series takes gamers into the land of Hyrule where you are given the task to save Princess Zelda and your beloved homeland from the evil ruler known as Ganon. With the Triforce power of courage by your side, you make your way through epic dungeons ranging from gloomy forests, to the heart of a volcano, and even the depths of the sea. The formula is perfect and the story is inspiring so the game leaves us always longing for more.

How do you top perfection? That’s what we have been asking ourselves about this nearly perfect series we all know and love. Which is why we have a new segment for the site called My Wii News Triforce in dedication to this masterpiece of game that Miyamoto has created. Roughly each week, expect three of us to give you a little piece of our minds in a couple of short paragraphs, letting you guys know what we think about the games that we love and can’t wait to love. The answers vary depending on the topic, this one centering around the next Zelda title to grace the Wii.  Triforce, go!

Chris Evans [author]: As somebody who has music from Super Smash Bros Brawl on his iPod, my biggest wish for the next Zelda title is for the music to be performed by a full orchestra.  Nintendo is home to some of the greatest video game composers around, most notably Koji Kondo, the genius behind the soundtrack for every Zelda title to date, as well as most Mario games and numerous other Nintendo classics.  However, the music in Zelda games has always been computerized MIDI recordings rather than real instruments.  You may not think it makes a massive difference, but compare the music in Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess to the fully orchestrated versions in Super Smash Bros Brawl and you will see what I mean.

The other thing I would love to see is voice acting.  The settings in Zelda are always massively immersive, but having to read dialogue rather than hear it always seems to remove something from the experience.  Having said that, the last thing I want is for Link to speak.  He should always be the silent hero.  Nintendo have already proved that voice acting in a game with a mute player character can work with Metroid Prime 3, so lets see what the inhabitants of Hyrule have to say for themselves.

Mike Suszek [Editor]: The Legend of Zelda series has been there for me since my favorite on the NES days with Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.  The RPG aspects of the game, like magic and skills, really set it apart from the rest of the series.

For years, Nintendo has proven that they are willing to spin-off of dedicated genres with their biggest franchises.  Mario has RPG games, Metroid flipped into the 3D First-Person Adventure world, and Zelda even got a crossbow game.

Since I’m a fan of RPG games, it would be a joy to see genuinely good RPG out for the Wii.  And if it means going the Star Ocean route and making it an Action RPG, I would happily see the Zelda series go down that road.

That, and I’d love to see more DS/Wii connectivity.  A new Four Swords Adventures game, in a Phantom Hourglass/Wind Waker style, would be exciting for the Wii as well, and very possible.  After all, Miyamoto let slip that BOTH DS and Wii Zelda teams are hard at work.  As if there isn’t more that could excite you, if download numbers are good for Mega Man 9 and the generous team at Capcom, the Wii could see more retro revisits.  What better series to keep the ball rolling than Zelda?

Lucas Tollini [author]: The Legend of Zelda series has always been my favorite gaming franchise and with Ocarina of Time being my favorite game in the series, I would like the next Zelda to once again follow along the lines of Ocarina of Time (like twilight princess did). But that doesn’t mean I don’t want anything changed or new, as Chris has already said before, I would like to see voice acting in the game. Reading the text of every single character in the game gets tedious and can be avoided with some good voice acting. The cut scenes could use some more cinematic elements as well.

One thing I would not want to see make a comeback is cel-shaded graphics. When I first saw Wind Waker, I was devastated. I thought we were going to get a cool looking, realistic, next-gen Zelda game for the Gamecube. Instead we had gotten a cartoony, and in my opinion, stupid looking game. Now this is just my opinion, and I know that a lot of people actually liked Wind Wakers graphics, but I didn’t.

One more thing, I have been playing The Legend of Zelda for quite a bit and while I still love the franchise I think it could use a small change. Either story or gameplay wise. More of an RPG element would be awesome as Mike stated above, but I would just like to see what Nintendo has in store for us. So Nintendo, surprise me!

We started it off, you guys finish it.  You can find the forums here, where we already have a discussion setup.  So tell us: what would improve the next Zelda game?  Should we go retro, or should we push the system’s limits?

Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google
  • Fark
  • N4G
  • Reddit
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati

Comments

• By Durffen, July 26, 2008 @ 1:28 am

Although I do agree that maybe Zelda needs some new gameplay elements, I always love the saying, “Why fix whats not broken?”

• By anon, July 26, 2008 @ 6:42 am

The next Zelda? I would like see one with NO GANON. Give us a new bad guy, Twilight Princess started off right, then SURPRISE! I would also like to see a sequel to wind waker, where they find land. Not as much ocean. And add more dungeons and make them difficult. I want to die several times playing the next Zelda game. The recent ones have been too easy.

• By rx, July 26, 2008 @ 6:42 am

Make the main villains a little more brutal and a lot less whiny (Zant)

• By Ikaro, July 26, 2008 @ 7:46 am

Wind waker is the best Zelda! Perfect!

• By bob101, July 26, 2008 @ 10:11 am

The next zelda should have a leveling up system like what you get in the final fantasy but no random fights just EXP for ever kill and the wii should be pushed to get the best out of it for the game

• By Eddy "D_S" Fettig, July 26, 2008 @ 12:00 pm

I loved Wind Waker, I think that game still looks good…And the gameplay was everything I wanted in a Zelda game — exploration, puzzle-solving, and none of it was needlessly difficult.

I would like to see a new art style, and I REALLY want orchestrated music and VOICE ACTING. The cinematics in Twilight Princess impressed me with such detailed animation on some characters (Midna, especially), and voice acting would help it along. Keep Link expressive and he won’t need to talk. It’ll work.

Also, I want to see Zelda take an active role. Make her playable, make her a well-made AI partner, SOMETHING significant. I’m sick of seeing her be so kick-ass in Smash Bros. and so useless in the games she’s actually FROM. And honestly, I’d actually like to play as Ganondorf, too. Give us story sequences where we get to play as Ganondorf and do something evil to progress the story and then send us back to Link or Zelda or something. Have Zelda get kidnapped but let us control her and make a daring escape to join Link…so many different ways you could go with that.

But that’s all more story-related stuff.

Gameplay-wise, I was WiiMotion Plus. Period.

• By Jeff, July 26, 2008 @ 12:25 pm

What nintendo needs to do is license zelda to square enix and let them run with it. A zelda rpg made by square enix would rock hard. Gannon could even start out as part of the team…having a playable gannon would rock like having a playable koopa did.

• By BlazingKrotch, July 26, 2008 @ 1:43 pm

Don’t put no extra rpg crap into the zelda series it doesnt need it! Leave all that RPG crap to rpg’s, seriously!!! Everybody always wants to add “an rpg element” to everything, its getting annoying to be honest. Zelda already has enough rpg stuff in it. Not saying rpg’s aren’t just saying zelda doesn’t need it. I think the next zelda will be set in the future for some reason.

• By BlazingKrotch, July 26, 2008 @ 1:46 pm

And a zelda game without ganon[dorf] is just ridiculous, its like a zelda game without zelda or link. Ganon[dorf] is the holder of the tri-force of power, he is critical to every zelda game, as is zelda and link.

• By Nintendofreak, July 26, 2008 @ 1:48 pm

Zelda is one of the best series in history and I think that all that may need to do is find a new story. One without Ganon, almost like “Twlight Princess.” Although keep in mind with thoughs who like all the dungeons and bulid on it.

• By Kazuki, July 26, 2008 @ 2:00 pm

I half agree with Lucas Tollini’s stand on Classic>Cell-Shaded, but I myself would be thrilled to see another Wind Waker game on the Wii, but not before we get another classic style Zelda like Twilight Princes, as we’ve all been waiting to see what the Wii could do to the world of Hyrule, and our wait continues due to the fact TP was basically a GCN port when it came to graphics.

As for what I’d like to see, more enthralling sidequests. In Wind Waker, the idea of reading treasure charts to find rupees at see was a fun idea that got you in touch with your inner pirate, but in the end, the number of things you could buy with said rupees was abysmal. Either throw in a ton of rare items you could only find through these little sidequests, or give us a boatload of stuff to buy with our rupees.

• By RegalSin, July 26, 2008 @ 2:21 pm

The pretty much screwed up Zelda from the second N64 game which was really a remake. First off Zelda is a RPG game from the get getgo, second thing is nothing needs to be changed..it is still a fresh series that needs a fresh start, third Miyamoto dare I say it while he got juice is a Mature man and from the look of things he could care less about the series itself. Lastly alot of Nintendo original series is just ripping off past series that is less popular kinda like how Phantasy Star is really DUNE/Star wars/ rolled up into one. I have nothing against Nintendo but these games that is being made now have no soul in it whatsoever.

However if there is one thing I would love to ses is a merge of the comical Zelda … YOU KNOW WHAT!! to hell with all the Zelda pro people out there.

Hey if there is going to be a new Zelda then it is only going to be in the form of prodigies.

Nintendo pretty much left a loop hole for all the Zelda games with Link in the GB game and the second N64 game.

I would love to see more Oceanic Zelda but I have my limits
    now and too be honest the SNES was the last good Nitnendo System.

• By Justafan, July 26, 2008 @ 6:00 pm

I think they should put more focus on the mythical aspects…such as tossing a sword into a waterfall and upgrading it, more epic “common” enemies (the Zora things in the original Zelda reminded me of water dragons), bring magic back (such as in ALttP and OoT), interesting side quests (as well as the trading game), and armies (such as the horde in the 2004 TP trailer)…that would be nice

• By maddogg, July 26, 2008 @ 7:08 pm

I agree almost totally with Eddy “D_S” Fettig
    (i’ve never played any other zelda except tp)

voice acting with text optional, link doesn’t talk;
    playable ganondorf
    wii motionplus
    possible wiiboard for quick dodge or horseback
    more usable items to buy and rare ones to find
    trade and talk with friends online with wii speak

• By gamerfan63, July 26, 2008 @ 7:13 pm

Didn’t square work on Mario RPG? So its not out of the realm of possibility that Square-Enix could do a Zelda RPG.

• By anon, July 26, 2008 @ 7:21 pm

@BlazingCrotch

Somebody obviously didn’t play Majora’s Mask. No Ganon, no triforce, yet a great zelda game. It created the most atmospheric world. Minish Cap had no Ganon. I’m pretty sure that Oracle of Ages/Seasons only had Ganon if entered the passwords to play the two games as one. If you keep using the tired triforce/ganon story, then all the zelda games will be the same.

• By Lukatoll, July 27, 2008 @ 7:16 am

@Eddy “D_S” Fettig,

-I like all of your story ideas, they would really add to the game.

• By DarkEnigma91, July 27, 2008 @ 9:00 am

I want smart bosses. Nowadays once you find the weak point of a boss its all down hill from there. Bosses should learn to block a particular maneuver you’ve already used so the player is forced to figure out alternative ways to damage a boss. Oh and complete sword control. No wiimote waggling please.

• By Jeff, July 28, 2008 @ 6:58 am

I don’t want Zelda to only be an RPG. I want Nintendo to continue to work on traditional Zelda titles and I want Square to work on a hardcore RPG based in the Zelda universe. I want a Final Fantasy type Zelda game along with whatever Nintendo produces. Why can’t I have both? They do the same stuff with Mario…he crosses genres quite often.

• By Sam, August 7, 2008 @ 4:50 pm

What about Phantom Hourglass? There is no ganon in there either. Only belum. I think there should have more ganondorf if it’s a sequel to phantom hourglass, If its after Twilight princess, No ganondorf. New enemy, scarier than zant. Something with claws, sharp teeth, not too easy to defeat but not impossible. Like….well…I’m not too sure!

• By bob, August 13, 2008 @ 3:36 am

i think they should add a new character thats like a sidekick to Link that u can play co op with.

• By linktp, September 8, 2008 @ 6:00 am

i want Zelda and Link and Epona and Ganondorf and Navi

• By reed glasscock, November 10, 2008 @ 1:10 pm

the boss battles in TP were way too easy and very simplistic. They felt kind of underdeveloped and there wasn’t really a challenge trying to defeat them. TP is a great game but overall if didn’t feel quite finished

• By mr T, November 19, 2008 @ 3:08 am

dont add rpg to zelda!!!!i like the series basically the way it is at the moment!I reckon the next zelda game should be a wind waker, cel shaded style.
    thankyou for reading